Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Kid's Tale (working title)

Kid starts sprinting, like there's no time left. Maybe there isn't. Hard to tell if he's running toward a dream, or running from a nightmare.
Aww, but that ain't the beginning. Every tale's gotta start somewhere, and for the Kid, this story goes a little further back.
I remember the first time I met the Kid. Came in from the East. Clothes a mess, hadn't washed in days, smelling like the gutters. Could tell he hadn't eaten or slept in a spell either. I take him in without a word, give him some hot dinner, not too much. Haven't said a thing, and he passes out on the table. Poor Kid, doesn't even look old enough to shave, let alone carry that sword around. I carry him to bed, real gentle like. Looks like a boy, snores like a werewolf.
I rummage through his rucksack, looking for something about him, a name at least. Find a picture, real nice one too. There's the Kid with I dunno, a ma and pa, looking real happy, smiles as wide as the horizon. Kid's holding some girl's hand, real looker she is. Got a dog too. Don't see too many of those around here, not in these times anyways. Lighthouse in the background, gotta figure it was taken in Windsdale. I hope not for the Kid's sake, it's not an easy walk from there. Two hundred miles over a mountain pass. Kid's gotta purpose, ain't no one doubting that. Question is: what's the Kid doing here?

End. This is the first part of the first chapter. Really like where it's going. Gotta lotta kinks to work out, but this isn't bad coming off the top of my head. Fitting into the narrator style pretty well, I'll keep it for now.

Any thoughts or opinions, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment